[RTTY] Decoder performance on crowded bands

iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato iw1ayd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:14:53 EDT 2015

Hi all.
Not to look more silly of what I am, but ...
It seems to me that this trending discovery of responders as CQers is
happening much more since the introduction of the new RTTY skimmer. At
least by the the number of complaints about this nuisance seen here on
the list.
Isn't?

BTW I have often seen, since the same event some more US calls operating
on my same CQ QRG. That's W1AYD, not to say another as W1AQD :-) With
different strings, and thus countries, even IQ1RY was affected by the
same syndrome.

About the CQ head and tail ... I use this macro inside N1MM(+):
{TX}{CRLF}TEST IW1AYD IW1AYD CQ {RX}{CRLF}
Where there is a space after the tail ending CQ and, after the RX
switch, a local cosmetic {CRLF}. Just to have everything on place using
at most only the trackball and ESM. The keyboard is needed much more for
ESC than for any other use.
So, I don't care for the paper feeds but also I loose the position
control over the real RXed response string.
Anyway I could count blank lines and usually, worst of the worst, I am
responding to a lot of operators (well, no JA and generally AS, with
just some W) that repeat my call two or more times: awful in RTTY ;->
Just sometimes it is needed to give me time to wobble the RIT ... but
anyway it is definitively a nonsense. Much worse than
VA2UP TU IW1AYD CQ
IW1AYD IW1AYD DE LL#LLL LL#LLL LL#LLL
This would also give me plenty of time to respond with the other radio
and badly change the whole timings.

At least its a hobby where everybody of us could accommodate quite
anything, that's great.

    73 de iw1ayd Salvo