[RTTY] How I worked VK0EK from NA on 15M RTTY this morning

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 6 18:51:22 EDT 2016

The problem is that these DXpeditions solicit money before the trip. For
VK0EK, I believe my club may have donated $500 or something like that. Then
we get this kind of response for RTTY and we wonder why we made the donation
at all. I will suggest to my club that we offer to donate to DXpeditions
AFTER the trip. If the trip goes well, we donate. If not, they get less than
what we planned to give or give nothing at all. Joe is right on this point.

In addition to the club support, I normally will pitch in for something
after the DXpedition but I will not be contributing to this one unless
something drastically changes in the next 3 days, 18 hours and 18 minutes.

%3 RTTY is a terrible percentage. I realize they have experienced poor high
band conditions but it's no excuse. So they planned to use 15 meters as the
main RTTY band. This would not have been a bad plan a year ago but not now.
When things are not working as they should, then the plan needs to change.
(Unless they planned on only doing 3% RTTY). They need to be on 20 and 30
meter RTTY. The demand for RTTY is just too high for them to continue to
ignore it. They were on 15 RTTY this morning. I was there watching and
didn't see one letter printed from them.

Makes you wonder why they chose to make the trip this part of the cycle
anyway. Did they think the SFI was going to hang in the 100s forever?

It's disappointing that so many of us are disappointed. Obviously they are
working people since they have 63,748 contacts in the log.

Don AA5AU