[RTTY] VK0EK choices

Jacques Frilley jacques.frilley at noos.fr
Thu Apr 7 06:07:26 EDT 2016

I haven't call VKOEK either in CW or in SSB as I have both modes confirmed, being 339/369 at the DXCC desk  and want to leave the chance to ATNO little pistols fellows.( I became a little pistol myself after moving last year to a new home, switching from my 4 el SteppIr to a simple vertical ...)
I donate of course and I am terribly frustrated,  as many are, by the lack of RTTY activity at VK0EK !!!
I did the same with FT4JA : a single call, a single contact in RTTY that'all. My #302 in this mode and I enjoy just listening to their excellent traffic in the other modes ...
I know the Sun doesn't help these DXpeditions, but one should remember : regarding nowadays practices in Amateur Radio, CW of course but that’s for sure “ Digitals ” may be the " future" of our hobby, excluding a part of those fools who spoil it.
On last tuesday morning between  09:30 and 10:30Z the operator battled to perform exactly 10 QSOs in one hour on 15m RTTY with NA stations while the traffic was difficult but however relatively  fluid and efficient with EU and JAs.
May be the problem was the availibility of an extra antenna devoted to this mode in the appropriate direction. Their choice ...
One QSO every 6 minutes... He was of course RST 000 over here on the back of the beam.
A couple of east and middlewest W stations described their successful QSOs at that precise period as pure erratic 2 minutes openings ... Good indeed for them but just Russian roulette and a nonsense regarding optimization of the RTTY global efficiency.
A real waste of effort. And I we know, efforts in the environment where they are is a huge energy investment !
Sorry, I try to be positive but I think it is hopeless to fight against no propagation and aurora problems at the wrong time on the wrong path.
Anyway good exped, they do their best !
Best 73 from Jim F2LZ

---