[RTTY] Fortuitous 30 Meter Receive Antenna

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Thu Apr 7 13:21:10 EDT 2016

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 12:02:01 -0500, Nelson, KU0A wrote:

>I was able to work VK0EK on 30 meters from Iowa last night thanks to my
>TH-11. While it's not resonant on 30 meters, I've discovered that it makes a
>good receive antenna on the band.

REPLY:

Interesting that Nelson mentions that.

My Cushcraft X7 yagi is supposedly a tri-bander, but I find it works
fairly well on 17 and 12 meters, with SWR below 2.5:1 on both bands.
The driven element is actually a four element log periodic, which
contributes to the broad banded response.

The performance is about that of a dipole because none of the
parasitic elements are resonant, of course. I keep the power down to
about 100 watts or so to prevent damage.

As Nelson suggested, you might check your antennas to see what works
on bands where they "shouldn't".

73, Bill W6WRT