[RTTY] VK0EK RTTY Update

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 10 11:45:10 EDT 2016

I just received email from Arliss, W7XU, that the 30 meter antenna has been
taken down and there will be no more 30M RTTY in anticipation of their
departure "sometime tomorrow" due to approaching bad weather.

I thanked Arliss for his catch-up work on RTTY. He did what he could but
unfortunately he had little to say about how much RTTY would be operated. He
was sorry that more RTTY contacts did not make it into the log. It's
certainly not his fault.

This is not the first time we've seen RTTY take a back seat. The biggest one
that comes to mind was the last BS7 operation (the last one I need and place
that should never have been a DXCC entity but that's another discussion).
And there have been plenty others. There are some very well-known DXpedition
leaders who do not like RTTY and have limited their operations to very
little, if any, RTTY. Other operations, such as the current FT4JA
DXpedition, give RTTY a high priority.

RTTY is now mainstream. There are more RTTY operators now than ever before
as there has been an explosion in RTTY operators in the past 10-15 years.

Don AA5AU