[RTTY] RTTY DX'ing tutorial

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 10 20:37:54 EDT 2016

I'm afraid Eddie seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I'm not
sure he's even still alive. I did a Google maps search of the QTH he was
staying in CA and the tower is there but real estate records show the
property as being sold a few years ago. The couple he lived with were CBers
and they had a 10 meter beam on a small tower on a small lot.

Many know the story of us being in Aruba for the 1992 CQWW RTTY Contest. We
were suppose to fly back to Dallas together but US Immigration pulled him
out of line and into the interrogation room. He didn't make the flight and
that was the last time I saw him.

US Immigration told him he had to go back to the UK for a certain amount of
time before he could return to the US. He didn't have the money for a ticket
so he had to stay on P4 until someone sent him the money (he didn't own any
credit cards). Consequently, he ended up operating the first ever JARTS from
there because of the layover and he won the contest. I was a disappointing
second place! It would take me 11 years to finally win that contest.

I think I talked to Eddie after that and I think he did make it back to the
US, but he dropped out of site.

I miss the ol' bloke.

Don AA5AU