[RTTY] RTTY DX'ing tutorial (was: VK0EK RTTY Update)

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Sun Apr 10 21:22:10 EDT 2016

Radios with a second receiver (not just another VFO on a single receiver)
can decode two different frequencies simultaneously.  The DX station is in
one decoder window and the pileup is in another.  With a bandscope, you can
usually ID the station being worked, move your second receiver there and
decode to verify.  If you're in Split mode, then transmitting will occur on
the Split frequency, i.e., the second receiver, or VFO-B.  I don't know how
we ever worked a split pileup spread over 15 Khz without these aids.   ;>)

Ed W0YK

Art K5FNQ wrote:

On a DXpedition RTTY split mode, unlike CW where it is possible to
listen for and read the frequency of the calling station being worked,
RTTY on split does not provide that option to print the station on VFOB,
at least not that I can see.  No way to print from VFOB to try and find
the station being worked.  It becomes a crapshoot (using NAP3 and LP PAN
to try and see the signal of the RTTY station being worked is impossible
with the "call all of the time" crowd.)  Is there any way around this?

Hopefully I have overlooked some command or system to read both VFOA and
VFOB on my FT5000 on any RTTY program???