[RTTY] RTTY DX'ing tutorial

Mark n2qt n2qt.va at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:34:47 EDT 2016

This is exactly what I do.  If it's a difficult pileup I'll turn on the 2nd receiver with a decoder
to better pick out who was the successful caller but normally you can pick the winner without
that.

I also use CW skimmer for the waterfall as it gives a clean display and you can click and
be tuned accurately enough to decode without touching the radio if not operating split,
or if you have a waterfall display for the sub rx even if you are.

The other advice is to watch the cadence of the pileup. If the op is always slow coming back
I'll go to 3x on my calls (I have a short callsign which helps).  If I don't hear the dx come back,
then normally dump in only 1 call so I can be sure and hear him respond and get back in
synch with his rhythm.

Mark. N2QT