[RTTY] USB serial port adapters

G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 24 12:45:08 EDT 2016

Lee

The EXTFSK system is basically bit toggling the TXD line by using timing in
software. This means there is considerable timing jitter so that individual
bit times can be too long or too short. This does cause errors at the
decoder. So this method of transmitting RTTY is sub-optimum. It is also
limited to 45.45 baud.

Next there is one other bit of information you need to consider. The best
decoders of RTTY like Fldigi and 2Tone do not decode the signal as FSK. They
treat the RTTY signal as two tones that are oppositely keyed . That is one
tone is keyed on and the other tone is keyed off. In other words the best
decoders treat the RTTY signal as if it is Amplitude Modulated on off keying
of each tone. So the question then becomes what is the optimum method of
transmitting a signal that provides the best match to the decoder?

The answer is to key the tones just as the decoders decodes them that is to
key one tone off and key the other tone on. Fldigi does this and so does
2Tone DOOK. A further benefit of using this form of transmission is the
keying signal is carefully filtered before it modulates the RTTY tones thus
maximising the transmitter's energy that can be used by the decoders tone
filters. A further benefit is this filtering to maximise the use of the
transmit energy means unlike radio based FSK it does not occupy an
unnecessarily large part of the band causing QRM to adjacent users.

So if you want to use LINUX then I suggest you use Fldigi AFSK which is
actually DOOK (Differential On Off Keying). It also means the same
connection between sound card and rig can be used for all the other modes
that Fldigi has.

73 David G3YYD