[RTTY] AL-80B Or KPA500 for RTTY Contesting

Thomas F. Giella W4HM thomasfgiella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 14:32:28 EDT 2016

I continue to upgrade my hamateur radio station for the upcoming winter RTTY
contest season. Recently I sold my Icom IC-756 Pro 3 which had served me
well for allot of years and purchased a new Icom IC-7600. I also have a new
Icom IC-7410 that will also be put to use as part of a SO2R set up.

I am now contemplating a new linear amplifier. I have been running the
Ameritron AL-811H for quite a few years. I'm contemplating either a new
Ameritron AL-80B or an Elecraft KPA500 for reliable output on high duty RTTY
contesting. I usually use 400 watts max for RTTY contests and it's always
been a very effective.

Any comments on the two amplifiers especially their duty cycle stoutness
would be much appreciated.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella W4HM
Lakeland, FL, USA