[RTTY] FW: FW: If you care about CW and RTTY - time is of the essence

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Sun Aug 14 14:04:02 EDT 2016

Forwarding on behalf of Ted N9NB

73,

Ed W0YK

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted <tsrwvcomm at aol.com>
Date: August 14, 2016 at 10:55:40 AM EDT
To: Matthew Pitts <n8ohu at yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: [RTTY] FW: If you care about CW and RTTY - time is of the
essence

Hi Matthew: thanks for sending me your note.

 I am not a part of the RTTY email list. So, I would ask you to please
forward my note as a rebuttal to your comments. I will also send this to a
few people who are perhaps on that RTTY alias, in case you don't care to
forward my note.

I am happy to reply to Mathew Pitts' comments, and hope you all will read
carefully the NPRM issued by the FCC this July 28, 2016. And please spread
the word. This is not fear mongering, as I have too many  things to do in my
day job to spend time on anything that is not real. I am trying to get
people to read the NPRM and realize what is happening – and its sad for me
to see how hard it is to get CW/RTTY enthusiasts to realize that they are
false to assume the ARRL and FCC would preserve CW or RTTY. They now have to
take serious action if they care about preserving their operating bands.

Understanding this and the history of the digital aggression goals of ARRL,
WINLINK, and the boating community is vital to realize the ramifications of
the July 28 2016 NPRM by the FCC. The NPRM 11708 of July 28 2016 is about to
become law and is what the FCC intends to do if there is not a vocal outcry.

In particular, please read Paragraphs 9 through 12 of the FCC's NPRM of July
28,2016 super carefully!That’s were it is clear that the DATA/RTTY HF
subbands, which include ALL CW and RTTY frequencies, from the lowest edge of
the HF band up until the Voice/Image subbands, will be subjected to
unlimited bandwidth new data signals. That is, the FCC is proposing to
authorize UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH, and UNLIMITED DATA RATE signals in the ENTIRE
Data/RTTY HF subbands from the lowest edge up to the SSB/Voice/IMAGE
subbands. All of the CW and RTTY frequencies are impacted in that sub band –
that’s where CW and RTTY operate – that should be clear to anyone reading
the NPRM.

This NPRM is a rule, with the force of law, about to be passed by the FCC.
Its already gone much farther than RM 11306 did when the ARRL tried this
same proposal at the FCC in 2005 to put this wideband data in the
SSB/Phone/Image band – the ARRL pulled it because the SSB operators were
well organized and vocal. But now they have gotten it through the FCC in the
CW/RTTY subbands --- it never went that far before, because SSB hams shouted
it down at the ARRL............sadly CW/RTTY operators have not been
successful and have had huge apathy and skepticism about the threat, and now
this is about to become law unless there is a MAJOR outcry and comments at
both the FCC and ARRL to stop the interference in the lowest 100 kHz.).

Please, please educate yourself by reading about RM 11306 on the web. It was
a ferocious battle in 2005-2007 . The ARRL withdrew it in 2007, finally.
They then retooled it in 2013 as RM 11708, and have it about ready to get
into law – UNLESS people respond mightily to ARRL officials and the FCC
during this 2 month comment period. this is not fear mongering, I assure
you. Its trying to get people awake and aware of the pending law in the FCC
publication. Without strong consideration and response, ham radio in the US
will be subject to this rule making, and its going to be very bad for
CW/RTTY, just like the SSB ops saw and successfully fought off in RM 11306.

For history, see RM 11306 on the web. So many thousands of posts rejected RM
11306, an arrl board member resigned in disgust, here is just one simple
sample assessment, when the ARRL proposed this identical proposal 10 years
ago, except in the phone sub bands, (Now they are getting it into the
Data/RTTY subbands, which by definition are where CW and narrowband modes
operate):

http://www.eham.net/articles/13018

Here are specific answers to some of your questions or doubts  about the
gravity of rm 11708 by the FCC :

Yes, this impacts all CW and RTTY on HF, because the NPRM specifies all HF
“Data/RTTY” subbands. That is the subband where CW and RTTY and narrowband
JT65 and PSK 31 operate.

Yes, the FCC is proposing UNLIMITED bandwidth. Even if the FCC accepted
ARRL’s 2.8 kHz bandwidth limit, the problem STILL negatively impacts CW and
RTTY signals, since Pactor 4 and other HF modems will be allowed in ANY
CW/RTTY frequency, and digitized voice of up to 2.8 kHz bandwidth will also
be allowed on ANY CW /RTTY frequency. This would cause widerband SSB-like
bandwidth signals to mix and overtake CW/RTTY narrowband signals. Note that
CW has only 200 Hz max bandwidth, RTTY has 500 Hz max bandwidth. These
narrowband signals cannot be used when they are clobbered by 2.8 kHz wide
band signals. That is why the FCC never allowed SSB to operate on top of the
CW/RTTY signals. We must keep this segregation by bandwidth to assure CW and
RTTY can operate without wideband interference. That is why I and others are
advocating that the NPRM be MODIFIED to limit the emission bandwidth to 200
Hz in the lowest 50 kHz of each HF subband, and why a limit of 500 Hz should
be enforced for the lowest 100 kHz of each subband. That would assure that
CW and RTTY would not be subjected to wider band interfernce, while still
allowing wider band data to exist above 100 kHz above the lowest HF edges.

Regarding Pactor and its problems, that is, what we will be subjected to if
the ARRL’s 2.8 kHz bandwidth is eventually accepted at the FCC (right now,
that does not look likely – the FCC wants to open the bandwidth to be much
greater – unlimited)

PACTOR in general (I do not know the specifics of PACTOR 4) uses run
length encoding and decoding a technique in which common words and
strings of two or more letters (e.g., sh, ing, in, on, the, etc.) are
replaced with a "token." In addition, the resulting message is then
compressed (apparently PACTOR 4 adds the ability to use an ecrypted "key"
for
the commercial version).

However, the developers of PACTOR do not release details of either the
compression algorithm or the substitution table for PACTOR 2 - 4.
so its not really public, and its unintelligible unless you buy the $1500
modem. and there is no cw ID. Yet its being used today in ham radio under
the guise of being published. It’s a grey issue.

When you read the FCC NPRM Paragraph 10, they mention 97.309( a) as being
the only codes allowable on HF/MF
, but the problem is §97.309 (a) contains several parts - it specifies ITA
2, AMTOR (SITOR)
and ASCII data formats ("Codes") but also - in §97.309 (a)(4) - lists
several permitted *transmission methods* (or "encoding methods") "whose
technical characteristics have been documented publicly" including
PACTOR. But that’s not really whats happening today.

The issue is that the only the original PACTOR was *publicly documented*
- the PACTOR 2 - 4 encoding systems are **NOT** publicly documented! Yet
Pactor 3 is operating today.People cannot stop or identify offending
transmissions that QRM them with Pactor 3. Will be so much worse with Pactor
4 and future data signals!

Another major  real problem is in §97.309 (b) which permits "undocumented
codes"
under certain circumstances.  The loopholes in §97.309 (b) are big
enough to drive a bus through. Has been the cause of QRM already for years
with automated data.

All of this will become so much worse if NPRM is legalized, and the FCC is
not dealing with these issues and are ignoring it, as you can see in NPRM
paragraph 10, where it simply assumes all hams will use only enough
bandwidth as they need .Yet the FCC contradicts itself and says that
wideband experimentatoin should be supported, of arbitrary large bandwith,
so there is a huge disaster waiting to happen if the NPRM is passed as is
---- the existing problems with Pactor will immediately errupt into a huge
mess and no regulation on the TTY subbands!  right now, the FCC is leaning
towards no bandwidth protection and no bandwidth limit for the lowest 100
kHz of each HF band for CW/RTTY to keep all emissions below 200 or 500 Hz.
You allow wider transmissions than this, e.g. unlimited bandwidths as
proposed by the FCC, or 2.8 kHz bandwidths as originally proposed by the
ARRL, and the entire CW/RTTY lower portion of HF becomes swallowed up in
wider bandwdith data signals, either PACTOR or wider with digitized voice,
etc. over time. that is what is at stake. I hope this makes sense! {Please,
please get active and spread the word, if you care about CW or RTTY.

Thus, Matthew's desire to minimize the impact of the FCC's proposal is not
accurate. Also, Canada has a tiny fraction of hams as the US and propagation
from VE often goes over the US on high bands- It's a red herring. This is a
real threat to all of RTTY and CW and requires immediate action and
thoughtful comments to the FCC and ARRL officials.

73 ted n9nb

Sent from smartphone, please excuse typos