[RTTY] FW: If you care about CW and RTTY - time is of theessence

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Tue Aug 16 15:42:29 EDT 2016

Pactor 3 and 4 use Pactor 1 for the initial call; moving to faster waveforms once the modems negotiate capabilities, etc.  If you catch the initial call, you should be able to decode it using free software....although luck, practice working with recordings, and/or obsessive watching and waiting might be required to make that happen.

Winlink Express' Pactor module has the capability to identify in Pactor 1 FEC (freely decodable) at the end of a connection, but it is a user-selectable option.  The practice is discouraged in some non-amateur uses of Winlink, and I wouldn't be surprised if most amateur users don't bother to check the box.

I understand that there is one hobbyist program out there that claims to be able to decode Pactor 3 (Sorcerer; haven't tried it, and don't know much more beyond that it exists)

Michael Adams | mda at n1en.org