[RTTY] If you care about CW and RTTY - time is of the essence

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Wed Aug 17 13:17:29 EDT 2016

You missed my point - maybe deliberately you pedant!

You can argue by that reasoning that the entire Internet is analog as it is so at the physical layer. That layer is a means to an end. By regulating by content type in the case of "image", the FCC is attempting to control the means by regulating the end in a way that made sense and was effective in the technology world of 1950.

But by a set of (hypothetical) regulations that makes transmitting a .jpg at the current 300 baud limit illegal while transmitting the text of "War and Peace" at 9600 baud OK is a distinction that makes no sense.

Once you employ digital encoding, then bandwidth is correlated to symbol rate.  Trying to control bandwidth usage by regulating content in that scenario is pointless.

Al
AB2ZY