[RTTY] Soundcard Interface shootout?

Jeff AC0C keepwalking188 at ac0c.com
Thu Aug 25 20:42:30 EDT 2016

I don't think there is much difference in the sound card at the macro level.
The generic sound card in the average PC (or the $15 dongle) gets you a lot
of dynamic range.  And given most guys run the inteface on the back end of a
rig with the AGC enabled, the DR demands on the card are pretty token by
conventional audio standards.  There are some posts by Kok Chen in the
archives which explain the concept of processing gain and how that ties into
the combo of sound card plus software filtering.

So by far and away in importance, in my opinion, are the configuration
utilities which handle the virtual com ports, box operation, etc.  I don't
know about the other products but the uRouter application's utility is
probably THE reason I stay with Microham stuff.  I've replaced the MKII with
a MK2R+ for So2r - which at the time I bought it I was really disgusted at
the cost, but having owned it for a few years now have a continual growing
respect for the refinement and feature set the box has.  About every time I
think "I wish this box would do XXX" - I find out that it does.  Latest one
was the function buttons on the MK2R+ which lets you save configurations and
tie them to a button.  Makes moving from RTTY So2r to RTTY DX to CW etc a
snap.

I'm not trying to promote Microham other than to say I'm pretty happy with
the stuff.  But I have had a lot of discussions with guys who are start out,
as I did, looking at a few transformers and a couple of pots and asking "how
hard can it be?"  If all you need is a AF connection, then yes it's pretty
simple...  But consider how much of a RTTY nut you are.  What a guy needs
today and what he needs next month may be different things..

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie