[RTTY] Interesting Discovery

Thom ki8w at ki8w.com
Thu Dec 1 21:46:09 EST 2016

So I have had some issues over the past several weeks that has prevented
me from entering the weekly NCCC RTTY Sprints. Tonight, all was well
with my station until I discovered something I find interesting.

I heard no signals on 20, 40 and 80 meters.

It was then that I heard the rain making a lot of racket on the metal
roof I have on the place where I live.

Took a look at the SWR of my carefully tuned dipoles which normally
exhibit something very close to a 1:1 SWR.

My SWR readings are near 8:1 right now and that roof is acting like a
great big RF sponge for incoming/outgoing signals.

Not much I can do about it...I just find it interesting.

my score in the Sprint was ZERO.

I hope it does not rain this weekend.

Finally, I think the reason I did not discover it earlier is normally
when it rains,  I am scrambling to disconnect a lot of antennas.  I have
had lightning strikes before.

Thom KI8W

"Living deep in the black hole of RF"