[RTTY] Interesting Discovery

Erik - K5WW k5ww at coyotearc.net
Fri Dec 2 00:46:23 EST 2016

I agree with Bill, Thom.

In the past 30 or so years I/my friends/their (club) stations have been
housed in, under or near metal buildings. From small shacks to large
warehouses. Not once did I notice the "sponge effect" you allude to, rain or
shine, with either wire antennas, verticals or beams. On the contrary:
carefully placing some of those (mostly wire and vertical) antennas in
relation to the metal building provided a desirable, directional effect and
the resulting gain to boot.

It may sound utterly stupid; but if I were you I'd be outside checking those
exterior coax connections you mention. Not next week, not tomorrow; but
rather as soon as it quits or even while it's raining. I know it's a pain;
but with an SWR like that I wouldn't be surprised if you have a water
problem.

Thanks for the Qs in the WAE and good luck with your problem.

73,

Erik - K5WW