[RTTY] Rainwater and connectors

William Lisk wglisk at outlook.com
Fri Dec 2 07:39:08 EST 2016

In the place where I worked, we had a radio system that failed after
about a year of successful operation.  It turned out that the outdoor
coaxial connectors provided by the system vendor were not rain-tight.
Over a period of time, water got into them and effectively shorted the
inner to the outer conductor.  I discovered this when basically tearing
everything apart to find the problem.  We dried everything out,
reconnected, and taped them.  Because there was no way to replace them
with more suitable connectors, we then improvised a rain shield with a
thick plastic bag and covered the taped connectors with that.  The
coaxial connections and cables were oriented in such a way that the
cable opening in the plastic bag faced down, which would not allow any
rain water in and formed a natural drain.  The repair was successful,
but we had to keep an eye on the bag to make sure that it had not
cracked due to the effects of sunlight and weathering.

73,

Bill/KC2EMH