[RTTY] Simple thing that seemed to improve my S&Ping

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Feb 8 21:16:59 EST 2016

*/"I'd really like to watch some of the Single Op wizards"/*

I don't know that I qualify as a "wizard", but I do have 50+ years of
RTTY under my belt. One of the things I haven't seen mentioned is
listening to the actual audio tones as they are received and decoded by
the program. An operator can develop "eye - ear" coordination to help
spot trouble with decoding. A static crash, a TX vfo "wiped" across your
RX channel, clicks, QRN, QRM, QSB, selective fading. . . all these
issues raise the probability of a bad decode.

In my opinion, you need to listen to the audio to be aware of the
"quality" that the decoder has to work with. That helps with your
decision whether the other fellow has your call correct or not. Of
course I suppose that skill doesn't apply too well if you are using SO2R
or a wide-band multi-channel decoder.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN