[RTTY] Flex RTTY AFSK Only

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Tue Feb 16 18:53:38 EST 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:46:58 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Not sure when (or if) they will ever implement the "FSK" pin #4 on the back connector, as labeled in the Hardware manual, but FSK is not operational.
>
>If you are an AFSK person, then no worries - the RTTY filter they designed is very, very nice.  But for transmit, its tones only through the software audio interface - Flex calls it DAX.
>
>Walt

REPLY:

True, the FlexRadio uses AFSK, but it is totally transparent to the
user. If I sat you down and turned you loose on it you would think you
are using an FSK rig. No more do you have to mentally subtract audio
tones from the carrier to get your actual transmit frequency, nor do
you have to ride the AF gain control or worry about over driving. All
automatic and all done with just one cable between computer and radio.
No more cables or circuitry for audio, PTT or FSK keying.  All done
over one Ethernet cable. You can get rid of your MicroHam or
RigBlaster or whatever. No longer needed.

The only new hardware you need is if you want to share a single
Ethernet port on your computer between the FlexRadio and the Internet.
You need a device called a 100/1000 Base T Ethernet Switch, which
WalMart has for about $35. As an alternative, you might be able to add
an Ethernet card to your computer to give you a second port. I haven't
tried this so can't guarantee it would work, but I think it should.

If anybody is in the So California area and wants to see it work, just
let me know. I'm in the town of Landers, about 30 miles north of Palm
Springs near the town of Yucca Valley. Don't be allergic to dogs - I
have six of them who will all love you to pieces.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT