[RTTY] 5NN

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Thu Feb 18 14:59:34 EST 2016

Actually, I have [My Call] programmed two different ways on two different Fn
keys.  One has a CR/LF at the beginning and the other does not.  I can
select which one to use depending on what I'm trying to communicate.  I can
send my call any number of multiple times, either all on one line or each on
new lines, or anything in between.  Lots of flexibility.

My serial number message begins with CR/LF and is only one repeat.  So, yes,
each tap of that key sends the serial number once on a new line.  That helps
the other station more easily see if they are all coming out the same or
not, so he can decide if he's confident enough or needs another repeat.

When I ask for a repeat, 19 out of 20 times I get the entire original
exchange which usually includes my call at least once and sometimes the 599
more than once.  All things I didn't ask for and don't need.  The percentage
of the transmission, that is the actual serial number I requested, is small,
and per Murphy's Law usually garbled while the unneeded information is
clear.  Often, I have to ask a second, third or even more times.  They could
have repeated just the serial number 6-8 times in the same transmission
period and greatly increased the probability that I got it on the first
repeat transmission.

Ed W0YK

John KK9A wrote:

Often I am leery of asking for repeats, since the station is likely to
send the whole exchange again and I still may not get what I am looking
for.  I really like Ed's idea of hitting the F-key multiple times
depending on circumstances. I assume that it prints on a new line each
time, but I see nothing wrong with that.