[RTTY] Icom Rigs For Contesting

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Fri Jul 22 22:05:48 EDT 2016

According to the IC-7600 brochure, the transmit/receive DSP unit is 32-bit
running at 266 MHz. There is a separate 32-bit DSP unit for the spectrum
scope (which now has a water fall with the latest firmware) that runs at 200
MHz. The IC-7410 has just one DSP unit--32 bits at 333 MHz. The 7410's
spectrum scope is pretty minimal and does not have a waterfall.

The 7410 will decode RTTY internally. The 7600 will decode and encode RTTY
internally which means you can do RTTY without a computer (I've done this to
snag a few DX stations). That may or may not be useful to you if you are
using an external RTTY decoder ala MMTTY.

Both radios have built-in USB sound cards and their drivers set up a virtual
serial port for passing CI-V commands which means you don't need an adapter
to connect to a PC. Note that the IC-7600 CI-V command set does not include
a command to FSK key the radio, so you'll need an interface to key the FSK
line on the auxiliary port.

The 7600 has a "dual watch" feature that will let you monitor two
frequencies in the same band. It's not really dual receive, but it could be
useful.

The 7600 has three built-in roofing filters at 3, 6, and 15 kHz. The 7410
comes with the 15 kHz filter, but the rest are optional.

I've had my 7600 for about 2 years. It was a nice step up from my 746 Pro
(which the 7410 replaced).

All that said, the IC-7300 is really hot right now and has more features
than the 7410 including a full SDR architecture. I have to believe that
Icom's engineers and product planners are working on a 7600 replacement that
uses SDR architecture similar to the 7300. If I was thinking about a 7600
right now, I might be tempted to wait a year or so.

Bob...

April I