[RTTY] 80 meters

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 22:56:05 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Ed Karl <edk0kl at centurytel.net> wrote:

> Now, back in the day the exam for the Tech and General were identical except
> for code speed. Well code is
> not a requirement anymore. The requirements for a Tech license are greater
> than the old Novice license, and we're talking about the same spectrum,
> though somewhat removed.

OK, so you haven't looked at the post 2000 test Q&A pools.

> Let's face it, a sound card and a Rigblaster will get anyone on RTTY, Slow
> Scan, PSK, and all the other digital (sound card modes). We no longer build
> much of anything, so the skill level we developed as youngsters isn't there.

Mythology.

> BUT the kids take to computers and other new technology like ducks to water.
> So a store bought rig, a store bought interface, and a laptop will get them
> on RTTY and digital modes. The wave of the future for sure. Maybe they'll
> get a CW decoding program and get curious (?).

Pretty much the wave of the past at this point.  People have been
doing this for 20 years, maybe more.

Technicians (and the 12,891 remaining Novices) were already given CW
privileges equivalent to Generals (on 80/40/15/10) back few years ago.
How did this help incentivize them to upgrade?  How many of them
jumped into CW?  12?  38?  Any?

As has been pointed out already, giving away privileges has nothing to
do with fixing the 80-m typo the FCC made in 2006.  They are entirely
unrelated issues.