[RTTY] Some basic RTTY radio questions

G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 7 05:09:39 EST 2016

Actually with RTTY the AGC setting should be slow.

The reason for this is the best decoders decode each tone separately and
make use of the signal amplitude and  measured noise over time.

They compare the individual tone amplitudes with their amplitude over about
one character time before and after the character being decoded. They then
combine the tones together before the final decision is made based on their
individual signal to noise ratio. Sudden changes to receiver gain will
provide less than optimum performance as it will alter the amplitude
relationship and noise over much less than 3 character times (about half a
second).

For those older decoders that use a FM demodulation system fast or slow AGC
makes no difference so set the AGC time constant as you would for SSB rag
chewing - slow.

As for bandwidth do not set it below 350Hz as Chen W7AY indicated earlier
this can cause distortion across the bandwidth by delaying some parts of a
RTTY signal more than others. This blurs one bit of the RTTY signal into the
adjacent bits. This is the signal causing QRM to itself. I personally tend
to use 500Hz on my K3 and only reduce to 350Hz in extremis. The filters in a
modern decoder are very narrow. 2Tone for instance uses a filter for each
tone that are just 45.45Hz wide and at 90Hz wide have more attenuation than
the receiver's dynamic range. Reducing RX bandwidth below 350Hz is for human
hearing limitations not that of the decoder.

73 David G3YYD