[RTTY] NA RTTY SPRINT

Steve Carpenter k4dxv at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 22:57:08 EDT 2016

On 3/13/2016 17:39, Richard White wrote:
> I have never entered a contest where there was a QSY rule. But I decided to
> give it a try this weekend. It was a real learning for me. I made some
> mistakes at first but improved as time went on.  Even though I did not do
> very well, 50 Q's, It was a lot of fun. For some reason I always thought the
> QSY rule would be too involved for me. Not so and I look forward to another
> contest of this type. You never get too old to learn to do something newJ
>
> 73  Dick  KS0M
>
> Richard C. "Dick" White
>
> Fulton, MO 65251 U.S.A
>
> Amateur Radio Station  KS0M

Dick,
I had done contests with QSY rules before I got into RTTY and didn't
really like them. Thinking back, I don't know what I was thinking. It's
a great way for "little pistols" like me to at least be in the game
against the big guns who, in most contests, just camp out on a freq and
run for the whole contest. Obviously, power and antennas are always
going to be an advantage, but in the Sprint-QSY format, operator skill
can help even that out. I did better in this sprint than any I had ever
done, and I credit my improvement to the 30-minute, Thursday night NS
RTTY sprints. They are a great way to practice the format, and they're a
heck of a lot of fun! If you've never tried them, join us. You'll get
hooked in a hurry.
Steve K4DXV