[RTTY] "QRL?" is a trick question on RTTY!

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 11:02:11 EDT 2016

If I am running with a well-established frequency for a half hour or an
hour, and somebody decides that "QRL?" for 10 seconds or even a whole
minute is a valid way to see if the frequency 50Hz away is free or not, I
will not print him and he will not print me.

I'm not saying that I never use the clarifier to print the off-frequency
callers. But I myself will never QSY my transmit frequency to meet an
off-frequency caller. Much less someone trying to justify taking my run
frequency.

Sending QRL? instead of listening to the frequency, is just a "trick
question" for him to validate QRM'ing me.

The only valid way to determine if the frequency is clear or not, is to
listen for a while!!!!

Lack of printable response to QRL? on RTTY will never be a valid to start
CQ'ing.

Tim N3QE