[RTTY] QRM

William Lisk wglisk at outlook.com
Fri Nov 11 17:24:11 EST 2016

Just some thoughts regarding QRM--maybe a walk-around with a small
portable radio would reveal a noisy appliance, poor utility connection
nearby, etc.  I have a cheap, home brew wire antenna here, and the noise
typically runs around S4 on 160 meters and S2, S3 or less on higher
frequency bands--generally the higher the band, the less it is.  We are
in an average residential neighborhood.

Recently, I was testing reception at home by sending audio via USB from
my Icom IC-7100 (with built-in sound card) to my laptop PC running
MMTTY.  I had around S9 across several bands that night.  It turned out
that  a different USB cable with a better ferrite bead/slug for RF
suppression drove the noise down to S4. Removing the USB cable entirely
took the noise down to S1 (think I was on 40 meters then).  When I
thought about it, it made sense, because there's a lot of digital
chatter on USB that could splatter into HF bands without proper
grounding and attenuation.

Operating at our remote cabin at the family camp in the woods, with no
utilities, we use 12 volt solar power with batteries for 12 VDC and an
inverter for 120 VAC.  HF QRM is terrible with the inverter running and
is much reduced when shutting it off to operate the IC-7100 on the
batteries.

73,

Bill/KC2EMH