[RTTY] Repeat CQ

Tom Martin tmartin at chartermi.net
Sun Nov 13 22:41:18 EST 2016

It was most disconcerting to hear a continuous CQ on 14.084 that lasted
almost an hour. A WA2 called CQ an never came back to anyone. The CQ
Repeat Time was set to about 10 seconds.  At first, I thought that he
was doing this for a bathroom break and he wanted to hold the
frequency.  Next, after 10 minutes of his CQing, I thought that he left
the shack to go to the store for snacks. After  30 minutes, I became
concerned that he had become a SK and died at the keyboard.

I even called CQ and worked several stations on his frequency.  I
thought that at some point, he would have called me to say that the
frequency was in use. It never happened. Is this an example of SO2R gone
bad?  Did he forget his second radio?

If anyone knows what happened, I'd appreciate an update.

73, Tom W8JWN