[RTTY] BARTG rule changes

Simone Wilson m0box at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 24 14:54:58 EST 2016

Guys,

Of course I knew this would promote debate, and in essence I'm not about to
get into one here, but let me respond to one or two concerns.

@Gordon NW7D - SOAB and Multi-whatever classes do not compete against each
other, so the difference is irrelevant. But within SOAB, let me see if you
think that you guys with your 1500w legal limit think it is a level playing
field with us UK guys and out 400w legal limit. Hmm, doesn't seem that way
to me. There are plenty of countries that do not allow the power levels you
enjoy. All I am trying to do is create a more level playing field where
operation technique, antenna design, propagation awareness etc., i.e. the
real skills of a good operator become more relevant over the alligator
station. As to SO2R, it has not be permitted in SOAB, but it was an
unwritten rule. No longer.

@ Scott MM0LID - It could have been so, but that is SOE really. View SOE as
the section where basically anything goes that your licence allows as long
as it is within the spirit of contesting. SOAB is for the majority of hams
who have a modest station yet want to be competitive. I'm glad you like the
QRP option. IF we were to make life easier, it would be like CQWW where the
exchange is all filled in before you've even pressed TX. Contesting is about
a challenge is it not? Make it too easy and the alligators will win every
time. However, thanks for your closing comment, much appreciated.

@ Peter N5UWY - I burst out laughing as I read the first part of your
message - Thank you Friend of BARTG :)

@Thom KI8W - Right now Thom I have just made an announcement of change. The
full rules are almost ready to post to our website and of course I will
notify all via this reflector. To clear your question up though, SO2R is an
SOE operators prerogative. SOAB may use SO2V. Reasoning is that the majority
of hams have a 2V radio, and as SOAB is really intended for the regular ham,
the rules favour that sort of setup. AS to the championship, every entrant
will appear in the table. Its going to be a long table hi hi. Where you end
up at the end depends on participation in all four contests.

@Jeff WK6I - Your understanding was correct, it just wasn't stated anywhere.

@all - I will be posting the January Sprint rules to our website over this
weekend, and like as not the HF rules as well. Then if you have questions
can proper debate be conducted. No change will be made of course for 2017,
so let's see how things go for the year.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the US

73 de Simone. M0BOX

BARTG Contest Manageress