[RTTY] Re Eddie G0AZT

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Oct 12 17:17:14 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Terribly sad news about Eddie, and a bit of a shock, even though I suspected
as much.

Eddie joined me at our local club one year for WAE RTTY. He had been in TY
for CQWW RTTY and was going back to the UK to visit his mother, who was
unwell, and very elderly, and fancied doing WAEDC from here.

I think that was my first taste of QTC's, and he taught me how to handle the
fun. Of course, Eddie was also very used to handling pileups, and wasn't
slow in telling folk what he thought of them!
I enjoyed his unique company for almost a week here, showing him some of the
sights of Guernsey, and also listening to his tales from pervious contests
in exotic places.

We corresponded via email for many years after that, until he sent me an
email telling me he was dropping out of radio and the world of RTTY. I
replied, asking him to consider changing his mind, but never heard from him
again.
The tone of his email was of sadness at doing this, but I think he had got
very disillusioned with some folk and their attitudes.
I don't know to whom he was referring, and was never told.

What I remember of Eddie was a strong personality, and even stronger grasp
of the ability to curse!

So sad to hear this, so RIP Eddie. Go chat with Arie 4X6UO and put the world
to rights!

73 de Phil GU0SUP

---