[RTTY] RM-11708

Lee - N2LEE lee at n2lee.com
Sat Oct 15 02:02:40 EDT 2016

Bill, I am probably the odd man out here because I believe the FCC should adopt this change.

But the issue is NOT bandwidth it is getting rid of the archaic Symbol Rate limit.

Right now all data modes on HF are limited by 300 baud symbol rate. This means that as new
compression and transfer protocols are developed we would be prevented from using them
even if they use the exact same bandwidth we are using now.

Also, by removing the 300 baud symbol rate the US would be brought inline with every other
country. For example Canada and Mexico use the same HF frequencies we do but are not
limited by symbol rate. So if this were and issue it would already be a problem. Which it isn’t.

There is an awful lot of Chicken Little scare tactics and hyperbole about this topic.

There is a need for the Amateur Service to move forward and allowing some form of increased
symbol rate is overdue. CW, RTTY and narrow band JT modes are not going to change. But there
is more and more of a need to transfer emergency traffic quickly and efficiently when cell and internet
services are not available.

Right we are limited to Packet and PSK-Mail at 300 baud but there are multiple open source, government standards and commercial protocols that can
transfer 5 times the data in the exact same bandwidth.

Personally I think arguing against this change sounds a lot like AMers who complained about SSB. Higher data rates are enviable. We have become a data
oriented society.

$.02

Lee - N2LEE