[RTTY] fldigi Contesting Setup Tip

Richard Kriss aa5vu at att.net
Mon Oct 17 07:04:40 EDT 2016

I have been a chaser in the ARRL's 2016 NPOTA event and have not been in many contests until this weekend where I played around in the JARTS WW RTTY Contest.  I used the Kenwood TS-590SG, macOS 10.12 (Sierra) with fldigi-3.23.15 and the setup worked great for the first 50 or so QSOs on Saturday. When I restarted the contest on Sunday, it was pretty obvious the fldigi dupe checker was not working correct as I got the dreaded WORKED B4 response.

After several frustrating resets, I finally figured out that I had checked the box in the fldigi Contest configuration panel for Time span over x minutes. I UNCHECKED "Time span over” option, saved the configuration and the dupe checker started working normal again.

Ed, W3NR, explained the Time Span is usually used in UHF/VHF contests where a Rover is involved. You have to wait x amount of time before you can work him again.  I have no idea when or why I checked and saved the Time Span option but unchecking and saving the setting fixed the dupe checker for HF contests.

It was fun to make a few QSOs in the JARTS WW RTTY Contest.  The JARTS contest exchange is RST and AGE and when you pull the fldigi Cabrillo Report, you will know why this is an OM’s hobby.  The youngest I worked was 15 and the oldest was 90 but he mean seemed to about 71.

JARTS was fun and fldigi made it enjoyable!

73 Dick AA5VU