[RTTY] FSK is bad?

Thom ki8w at ki8w.com
Tue Oct 25 12:23:25 EDT 2016

Uh, I was always under the impression that transmitted bandwidth is
determined in digital modes by the data rate rather than power output.
The "dirtier" the digital signal the greater bandwidth generated.  Am I
wrong?

The low power (5 watts)  for modes like PSK31 is simply about a
gentleman's agreement because PSK31 is sometimes copy able when the
signal is below the noise level.  Other digital modes are even better at
this,  below the noise,  copy ability.  You do not need more than
minimum power.

I also do not know if running 100 watts with psk31 would have any
appreciable advantage as far as DX goes. I have a friend who has over
250 countries on psk31 and he has never run more than 5 watts.

Power is no substitute for skill.

Captain Obvious will now shut up.  lol

73

Thom KI8W