[RTTY] (F)SK is bad?

Kok Chen rtty at w7ay.net
Tue Oct 25 22:22:53 EDT 2016

> On Oct 25, 2016, at 7:03 PM, Peter Laws <plaws0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wasn't there a Yaesu several years ago that had an "FSK" position and
> input that was actually a tone generator?

You are dating yourself, Peter.   That was in the last century, HI HI.

The FT-990 and FT-1000D took the FSK keying input and convert to AFSK tones, and use the tones to modulate the SSB transmitter.  So, yes, even when you key those rigs in FSK mode, they are internally AFSK.  I guess it keeps the "FSK forever" crowd happy :-).

The FT-1000MP took the FSK keying pin and fed its digital synthesizer with it.  So the MP was true FSK, but you also have zero control over how much FSK keyclicks (in addition to the CW keyclicks that those rigs were infamous for) that rig generated.

I have not bought any Yaesu rigs since the MP, so I have no idea what Yaesu does today to generate an RTTY signal... DSP? ... DDS?

73
Chen, W7AY