[RTTY] QRP

Richard Kriss aa5vu at att.net
Tue Sep 27 13:34:32 EDT 2016

>   1. Re: Q Rate Killers (Bill Turner)

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:28:34 +0000
> From: Bill Turner <dezrat at outlook.com>
> To: RTTY Reflector <rtty at contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] Q Rate Killers
>
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:38:30 -0400, Dave wrote:
>

>> 3. Because of the higher possibility of repeat requests, does anyone
>> think that qrp is out of place in some or all RTTY contests.
>
> REPLY:
>
> Maybe I'm just an old grump, but I think QRP is annoying anywhere in
> ham radio, not just contests. The QRPers are proud of their lousy
> signals whereas the REAL work is done by the stations trying to copy
> them.
>
> Flame deflector on, fire away. :-)
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Bill W6WRT,

I agree with you.  I have been active as a chaser in the ARRL’s National Park on the Air (NPOTA) for 2016 with 411 park units currently confirmed on LoTW. Yes, I am tied of working QRP stations. Happiness is a an activator station with 100 watts and decent antenna. Many of the activators use QRP and most of the time they are not heard.  They get on, work the 10 contacts that can hear them and move on. I have missed a number of new ones because I could not hear them.  It has been a challenge but I have relearned to listen better.

I don’t understand why anyone would try to work a RTTY contest QRP.

73 Dick AA5VU
Austin, TX