[RTTY] MMTTY Tx Tab settings

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Apr 26 11:03:59 EDT 2017

If your computer is not CPU limited (e.g. an old < 2 GHz Pentium),
I would use 512 taps and 400 Hz (type in 400).  With an older CPU,
you can probably get away with 96 or 128 taps but not have quite as
"clean" a signal (even the default 48 tap setting has some benefit).

Note - it is still important to connect AFSK audio to the rig's "Line"
input (typically a DATA, ACC or PKT jack - even a phone patch input) to
prevent over driving the audio stages as well as as well as properly
bonding the computer, interface and rig to avoid introducing hum and
RF feedback ("common mode" RFI).  Also disconnect the microphone and
keep power output below about 80 watts (with rigs using "12V" final
transistors) to minimize IMD in the final amplifier.

A good article on the issues of "filtered AFSK" was written by K0SM
several years ago:
     http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/k3rtty/k3rtty.html

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV