[RTTY] RTTY vs PSK31 on Field Day

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Fri Feb 24 07:47:02 EST 2017

On 2/23/2017 11:44 PM, Tim Goeppinger via RTTY wrote:
> I would like to write a letter to QST to hopefully get published by Field Day.   My concern is that the North Americanhams have taken a wrong turn about 15 years ago for digital modes for ARRL Field Day.   Somehow, PSK31 becamethe de facto mode for digital in Field Day.

Tim, I wish you well with your letter. But, I think it will fail.

I think the basic reason why PSK31 is more popular on FD than RTTY is
that we have so many new hams who are into "sound card digital" modes,
such as PSK31 and they know nothing of RTTY. All they have heard about
during their ham careers is sound card modes. When was the last time you
saw an article in QST or CQ Magazine about RTTY? How many articles did
you see that talked about other, more modern digital modes?

I know of a whole group of new hams who live near me who even eschew
PSK31. The only sound card digital mode they attempt to use is JT65
which may be great for weak signal contacts (a plus for hams who are
antenna challenged), but it's lousy for contesting.

As a result, I think the average club putting together their FD station
thinks that they need a PSK31 station in order to attract and interest
new hams long before they think about a RTTY station.

With regard to the alleged emergency communications aspects of FD,
neither RTTY or PSK31 are a good idea since neither one is an
error-correcting mode. Yes, in a true emergency, amateur radio may be
called upon to move data. But, there are other more robust modes that
would be used instead of PSK31 or RTTY.

To folks who see FD as a contest, yes, RTTY makes a lot of sense. But,
not everybody sees FD as a contest. Some clubs emphasize the fellowship,
education, and gluttony aspects of FD and just try to have a good time.

Bob...