[RTTY] Decoding troubles after taking a break

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 16 11:43:06 EDT 2017

Actually 2Tone does not care what sampling rate that Windows default is set
at. It will always use 48K for decode and uses the Windows API to set it at
that for its sample rate. It decimates this internally to what is required -
in the case of 45.45 baud to a final rate of 1500/sec

Probably what happened is while you were not using the PC it did some power
down of various parts and in doing so probably did that to the sound card as
well. This is especially so if the sound card is USB connected. Many
motherboards use USB internally for the sound card connection.

When you returned and "activated" the PC powered up again it probably did
not power up the sound card correctly. I always operate my PCs with no power
down except for the monitors. But then if I am leaving the PC for a while I
switch off the AC supply to the monitors.

It is a good idea to run MMTTY at 12K sample rate as some (not all) sound
cards do not decimate their native speed accurately to 11025/sec but to the
nearest multiple of 300 which is 11100/sec. This will mean you will have a
slight frequency difference between 2Tone and MMTTY. MMTTY will be slightly
off the wanted mark/space tone.

73 David G3YYD