[RTTY] greater than 600 watts for RTTY?

Jeff AC0C keepwalking188 at ac0c.com
Mon Mar 27 15:52:03 EDT 2017

Bill - the answer for the Midwest regarding winning:  rarely, and that
applies to a national win.  A world title is probably just not possible from
here under any circumstances.

Even to do a US-level win, several things have to happen - all at the same
time.  The big RTTY dogs on the east coast (that means AA3B and K4GMH) need
to be on vacation or operating in a different category or down for bad wx or
something.  And if they are participating, then you want them to take the NA
title on the chance that the US title is thus available but that only works
for one guy.  You need great propagation conditions for the double hop vs.
single hop issue as you describe.

Oh, and you need luck - for example if K3LR decides to do a SOHP from his
station you are sunk, even if you say Tim's skill level is rookie (which
it's not) - any guy with a good station on the east coast is going to run
rate and have prop longer than you will from the Midwest and that's enough
to come in a few slots higher.  A secondary threat are Midwest stations
located along the southern coast - meaning a single op from NR5M or K5GO is
going to crush you as well.

After all, it's the black hole.  But it could be worse, from a QTH
standpoint.  If I'm working my game right, I can usually give Jeff WK6I a
run for the money despite his far superior skill set and his operating from
the MONSTER W7RN contest station with 18 towers located out on a mountain in
NV.  Of course he can run JA about 24 hours a day when the prop is up -
something that I can't do either.

Keeping your chin up as a Midwest participant is a lot like what you guys in
CA have - you run your own personal contest according to win criteria that
you set.  My personal favorite is to say "1st place among SOHP with single
towers not on an east coast state."  Of course they don't give wood for that
but it's too demoralizing if my win/loss criteria is beating AA3B straight
out - just isn't going to happen - unless he's got the flu and has a 24 hour
power outage all at the same time!

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie