[RTTY] Amplifier Interface Keying Buffer

Jeff Rinehart jmrinehart at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 13:36:27 EDT 2017

The only interface to protect the radio as I understand it is one placed in the PTT line to switch the amp into transmit.

Many amplifiers draw more current through this PTT line than what the new solid state rigs can supply.  Whether you need one or not is something you will have to study up on for your transceiver and amp.
I always use an interface just to be safe.  They aren't that expensive and you can build one yourself if you are into home-brewing at all.  Here are some ideas:
http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/Amp_keying_ckt.htmhttp://qsl.net/kk5dr/Keyinterface.pdf
And I use one of the circuits below which I found on an Icom site.

Jeff W4PJW