[RTTY] Power

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Sat May 27 03:57:35 EDT 2017

My thoughts on RTTY and RF power are below:

1. A 'clean' signal will provide significantly better results than an
overdriven one.
The ability to decode an RTTY signal, first and foremost, benefits
from FSK rather
than AFSK when setting up a station. Yes, AFSK, when properly
adjusted, will mirror
FSK, but ask yourself how many times a poorly shaped signal is the results of
misadjusted AFSK.

2. I agree with David that power can have an effect; however, it is an
order of
magnitude. I disagree that a 2db increase in power will significantly
decrease the
error rate. Depending upon propagation and general background (e.g. a
contest going
on or a misadjusted adjacent signal) modestly increasing transmitter
power will have
little, if any, effect.

3. Antenna efficiency and feedline loss are far more significant that
transmitter
power. Improving copy at the other end, in my opinion, requires perhaps a 6 db
improvement. As an added benefit reducing losses also improves your
receive sensitivity.

4. There is no doubt that running 100w (e.g. full power on a 100w rig)
is better than
running 50w. But only slightly better, 3bd. Running full power reduces
the duty cycle
and while you may not "burn out" your finals in the short run, you
will induce more heat
and shorten overall life. Oddly enough, reducing power by 50%
increases life and reduces
duty cycle (considering RTTY to be 100% duty cycle) by more than 50%.

5. Propagation conditions are far more important than a 3db increase
in RF power. When
conditions are optimum I have run 1w (or less) with the same results
as 50w. Under less
than optimum propagation conditions, I have tried using 1Kw when 50w
was marginal and
I was advised that my signal went from barely copyable to readable but weak.

6. Some RTTY operators run lots of power which (unfortunately) causes
other stations to
also have to increase power, just to compete. When that does is drive
the lower power
signals away.

So, my suggestion is to improve efficiency of feedlines and antennas.
Raising an antenna
by only a few feet or replacing a lossy feed line will accomplish far
more than 3db.

'End of soap box'

73 de Phil - N8PS