[RTTY] Information please

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ zs2ez at zs2ez.co.za
Mon May 29 03:38:13 EDT 2017

Joe, my experiences with JTDX versus WSJT-X (particularly on 80m where I
have been active recently) are very different.... although I can only
compare to WSJT-X 1.7, as this is the only AVAILABLE version - I have not
compiled software since Pascal 7 in the 80's, and do not have the time,
knowledge or inclination to stumble around trying to "roll my own"
version... this is why I steer clear of Linux too, WHY the developers of a
program cannot simply provide an installer to test with (like Igor does with
JTDX and Dave W1HKJ does with FLDigi) I will never understand. As far as I
am concerned, WSJT-X 1.7.1 etc is NOT available to the general Amateur
community....

As far as JTDX is concerned :  The Hint function is optional (but works
extremely well), I have found only an EXTREMELY occasional "False Decode"
(which the software flags as Questionable) and the number of decoding passes
are also configurable.

In direct comparison to WSJT-X 1.7, I have found JTDX to be far superior in
decoding of weak signals (regularly completing QSOs with signals of -26, -28
and even -30!), massively better at handling overlapping signals, and it's
Filter feature is AMAZING!

Your mileage may vary, but these are my observations from operating.... as
stated, I have no idea what the UNRELEASED WSJT-X can do, but up against the
RELEASED version JTDX is FAR better!!!

Of course, these observations are from the bottom end of Africa where there
are generally only about 4 or 5 "local" stations on the air at any time -
may be very different when the band is very crowded....

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ
KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa
EPC#0558 DMC#1690 WCC#030 30MDG#4081
DXCC(mixed)#41,146  DXCC(RTTY)#1,916
DXCC(phone)#34,990  DXCC(CW)#11,714
DXCC 40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,10m
WAS Triple Play #492  WAS(RTTY)#538  WAZ(RTTY)#185  WAE-I(mixed)#72
WAZS(mixed)#214  AAA#1569
AS ZR6DXB: VUCC(50MHZ)#1,334  UKSMG WAE(Silver)#75  UKSMG AFRICA#22  WAC
(Satellite)
website : www.zs2ez.co.za