[RTTY] EXTFSK and Icom 7300

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Nov 3 15:21:10 EDT 2017

On 11/3/2017 12:49 PM, Charles Lind wrote:
> My son just got his general, KD9IWX, and bought an Icom 7300.
> Reading various threads about this rig it seems it will run FSK RTTY
> via a USB cable as long as EXTFSK is used in software.
Chuck, realize the IC-7300 has a single USB UART.  It is not possible
to share that UART (virtual COM port) for both radio control and FSK
without specialized "port splitting" software.

> I recall some concerns about EXTFSK and RTTY timing; does anyone have
> experience with the 7300 and this setup and the quality of the
> signal?
Those timing issues lie in the operating system - whether the FSK port
can be connected to a dedicated "USB Root Hub" in the computer and if
many of the background processes (firewall, anti-virus, online call book
searches, cluster access, etc.) can be minimized.  If the operating
system is hobbled by a slow processor with insufficient (RAM) memory
and is running too many background tasks with too high priority, FSK
will have significant jitter.  If one has a fast, multi core CPU, with
plenty of memory and limits the number of background tasks competing
for CPU time, ETXFSK will be fine on nearly any transceiver.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV