[RTTY] CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY | Classic SOSB15 HP | G6NHU

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sun Sep 24 20:05:40 EDT 2017

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 22:33:12 +0100, G6NHU wrote:

>It's also surprising how many people are off frequency.  Not just a few Hz
>either side but sometimes 40,50 or even up to 80Hz off.  Check your RIT/XIT
>before operating!

REPLY:

I see this too but I believe the problem is not RIT/XIT, but rather
AFC being on during S&P.  When tuning across the band, the AFC will
reach out and "grab" a station and tune it in, and of course the op
stops tuning. The problem is only the receiver is tuned in, not the
transmitter. The transmitter is still at the point where the op
stopped tuning.

There is an exception to this. If the tuning station is using AFSK, he
should have both AFC and NET on. This eliminates the problem. Keep in
mind that NET does not work with FSK, only AFSK. Again, there is one
exception to even that rule and that is with Software Defined Radios
such as the FlexRadio series. They have a mode they call FSK, but it's
really AFSK in disguise and it does do NET even in RTTY mode.

Confusing, I know.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT