[RTTY] BARTG Sprint: RST and QSOs

ktfrog007 at aol.com ktfrog007 at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 15:21:23 EST 2018

As far as I can see the FCC rules are primarily concerned with the transmission of radio signals: frequencies for various services, power, modulation, etc., to ensure utility and avoid interference. Transmitting stations are issued call signs and are required to identify themselves.

The FCC is not concerned with reception except to specify transmitting parameters to ensure adequate reception for the service involved. Certainly for amateur radio they don't specify what constitutes a QSO or exchange of information. Individual services may additionally specify requirements for a proper exchange. Amateur radio does not, aside from contests.

The only essential pieces of information hams must exchange are call signs. Many QSOs lack any kind of signal report. Almost all FM repeater QSOs, for example. Many contests do not require signal reports, among them:

NAQP
NA Sprints
CWops
ARRL Field Day

ARRL SS
ARRL VHF contests
CQ WW VHF
Makrothen
BARTG Sprint

No major award I'm aware of requires a signal report. The ARRL LoTW doesn't store a signal report.

One thing I like about WSJT modes is getting accurate signal reports as part of most QSOs. Given the ubiquity of 59(9) reports on other modes, this is a refreshing change, but not a required one. Just a lagniappe.

73,
Ken, AB1J