[RTTY] Threat to RTTY/Data modes and CW

Ron Kolarik rkolarik at neb.rr.com
Sat Feb 10 21:40:45 EST 2018

On 2/10/2018 7:13 PM, Al Hanzl wrote:
> Tnx Ron
> Lots of stuff on that link.
> For the less sophisticated, can you give a brief summary of the perceived threat?
> Tnx
> Al
> K2AL
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Al, for the current situation this may help.

FCC RM-11708 from ARRL "baud rate modernization" to legalize Pactor 4
and other wide band digital with a 2.8kHZ band width in the HF RTTY/Data
sub bands.

That spawned FCC WT 16-239 that removed all baud rate limits and did not
restrict the bandwidth. Both issues are still pending at the FCC and if
you want
more history, it goes back a long way, do a search for KH6TY to see the
games
played in the first ARRL ad hoc digital committee.

The best thing you can do is read the comments on 17-344 at the FCC to see
what the problem is.The FCC asked some very specific questions and the ARRL
submitted a 31 page history lesson, took until page 21 before they
started lobbying.
The Waterman comment wants more automatic spectrum and of course Pactor 4.
When you read this stuff keep in mind the ARRL did not send Pactor 4
capable
equipment with the "Force of 50", which was only 22, they got an STA
from the FCC
to use Pactor 4, Winlink provided SCS Pactor 4 modems but they were
never deployed.
It's a bit hard to justify a "need" when you have the means and don't
use them

Read the comments, you can skip the phone company and other utilities, ARSFI
is the Amateur Radio Safety Foundation (Winlink). My big objection is
the way the ARRL
and Winlink jumped on the opportunity to use a disaster to advance a
questionable agenda.

Ron K0IDT