[RTTY] Signals that don't decode

wa4jqs at mikrotec.com wa4jqs at mikrotec.com
Wed Feb 14 18:10:26 EST 2018

I saw the same thing during the contest was just hunting new band
contacts. someone said they must have been running 850 shift. but i found
them to be between 170 hz and 200 hz. went to the work shop and turned on
the receiver there and my scope. what i was was very over driven signals
with the osc freq drifting. i had a ts 570sg that would do this if i over
drove the audio input. when i turned on the alc and dropped the signal
input to a level where i had no ALC action the freq was stable. this may
have been what you were seeing. a lot of the signals i see on FT8 are very
over driven. seem like most ops figure they just leave the audio gain at
11 o'clock  like they do on ssb and it is ok. BUT it is NOT. just look at
the ALC action .

73 Tony WA4JQS
RTTY since 1963

SNIP