[RTTY] FSK Keying of TS-590SG

Keith Maton g6nhu at me.com
Sat Feb 24 06:25:08 EST 2018

I’ve looked at this at great length at various times over the last couple of years and each time I think about doing this (because I’m old school and to me FSK seems like ‘real’ RTTY and AFSK is ‘play RTTY’) I decide not to because the filters of the 590 won’t go any tighter than 250Hz.  In a busy contest, I run at 200Hz and sometimes as tight as 150Hz.  RTTY shift is 170Hz but I find that the 150Hz filter setting in the 590 has enough at the edges to still get perfect decodes.

Of course I’m wrong about AFSK being play RTTY, it’s as real as FSK and providing your levels are correct (ie zero ALC indicated on the radio), very clean indeed.

So apart from the technical challenge of making it work, I wouldn’t even bother.

73 Keith G6NHU