[RTTY] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying of TS-590SG

groupsrichart at gmail.com groupsrichart at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 22:29:27 EST 2018

Just to give everyone who has commented a little update:

1. I located another serial card and installed it in my computer. It
gives me a full -/+12VDC swing on the data lines.
2. The optoisolators in my interface are not pulling the PTT and FSK
inputs of the rig low enough to work. When the optoisolator is turned
on, I am still seeing +0.54VDC on the ACC2 inputs to the rig.
3. I tried different values of current limiting resistors from 100Ω to
1.5KΩ on the inputs to the optoisolators with no change.
4. I checked my junk box for some NPN transistors and found none (I
could have sworn I had some 2N2222s), so I have a few on order for the
coming week. I plan to build the simple resistor/transistor interface
that many have suggested.
5. After I get FSK working, I do plan to also try AFSK. There seems to
be a spirited debate among many as to which is best. I have no doubt
that either method properly used can give good results so I want to find
out operationally which method I prefer.

My thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond with your
comments and suggestions. I found them all very helpful.

73,
Tim WS4V