[RTTY] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Feb 26 14:30:55 EST 2018

On 2/26/2018 1:45 PM, Ed Muns wrote:
> I have migrated to the TinyFSK implementation to avoid the Windows
> timing irregularities that David summarizes here.
In addition to TinyFSK, the microHAM Digikeyer II, microKEYER II, MK2R+
and micro2R (as well as the original microKEYER and Digikeyer) provide
hardware that avoids the Windows timing irregularities.

Further a *TRUE* UART based serial port (not USB) will avoid all but one
of the sources of timing irregularities.  Windows can not natively set
the data rate to a fractional baud rate.  That is, 45.45 baud (22 ms
bits) becomes 45 baud (22.22 ms bits).

> This is due to either using FSK with a radio that is unfiltered
> (unfortunately, most radios), or not using an AFSK method that is
> properly filtered.
The third cause of "wide" RTTY signal (one that impacts all other modes
as well) is the terrible phase noise characteristics of many rigs.  All
Yaesu transceivers, Icom transceivers other than the 7850/7851, 7300 and
7610, Kenwood transceivers other than the TS-590/TS-990 and Flex "rigs"
prior to the 6000 series ALL have phase noise levels greater than -140
dBc/Hz.  Some, for example, Yaesu FT-950, FT-991, FTdx1200, Icom 7600,
7410, 9100, etc. have phase noise as bad as -120 to -125 dBc/Hz at 10 Hz
as measured by Rob Sherwood <http://www.sherweng.com/table.html>

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV