[RTTY] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:29:46 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Ed Muns <ed at w0yk.com> wrote:
> I have migrated to the TinyFSK implementation to avoid the Windows timing

Working on this myself.  It's on the same shelf where all the other
partly-finished projects go to die.  But I have the Arduino (in a
socket to cut down on exposing my poor soldering) at least.  :-)

> Fortunately, I use K3 radios that updated the firmware several years ago to
> narrowly filter the FSK signal.  While a properly-adjusted AFSK signal may
> be marginally narrower still, both are still far, far narrower than many of
> the offending signals on the bands today.

Lossa lossa pages out there quantifying and ranking transceivers on
many things.  Has anyone done this FSK signals generated by
FSK-capable transceivers?  This would be helpful information both for
radio buyers and people like Chen who like to point out that AFSK is
better.  :-)

> But, the primary reason I transmit using FSK is that I do not trust my
> ability to consistently maintain proper AFSK adjustment in the heat of
> contest, using two or more radios while working stations on each of the two
> receivers in each radio.  I fear that I will inadvertently get improper
> audio levels that degrade my transmitted signal.  Part of this fear is the
> Windows "surprise" we've all experienced where the OS changes the sound card
> levels and other parameters from where we've set them.

Yes.  This is me, exactly, which is why I stubbornly stay with FSK.